This week’s reminder is so simple that it’s often overlooked. I know I benefit from simple reminders all the time, and I hope you will too.
If you are new to these Weekly Reminders you might like to know that your subconscious mind is accountable for 90% of your daily decisions. If all you do is read this email (and ignore the strategies), you are already sending a positive message to your subconscious mind. Congratulations! The more similar messages it gets, the better decisions you will make.
This week’s reminder:
Drink more than enough water!
Before the invention of water systems and water bottles, our ancestors relied on fresh fruits and vegetables as a source of hydration- that’s why our bodies can send a hunger signal to our brains, making us think we are hungry, when in reality we are in need of water. This is called Hydration Hunger. If you grab for a bag of chips or wheat-based products, you are giving your body the opposite of what it really needs. The result: Fatigue, lack of energy, headaches, poor ability to focus, constipation, premature aging, increased risk of cavities, increased risk of kidney stones, low or high blood pressure, and susceptibility to a number of diseases. On the other hand, a well hydrated brain benefits from enhanced concentration, memory function maintenance, mood balance, healthier skin and even better sleep quality. Water is also essential for heart health, muscle and joint function, all of which are necessary for staying physically active – another way to keep the brain oxygenated and sharp.
It’s easy to forget to drink enough water when there are so many other things to do in the day, which is why two out of three people are partially dehydrated, and hospital admissions for painful kidney stones have more than doubled in the last decade.
I invite you to try any of the following:
- Get in the habit of drinking a full glass of water when you first wake up.
- Fill a 2L jug every morning and work your way through it.
- Experiment with adding a few slices of cucumber, ginger, mint leaves, lemon, strawberries or herbal tea bags to your water.
- Avoid water with big meals, it dilutes your digestive enzymes.
- Practice gratitude: Be thankful that we have access to free, clean water. The more you think of this, the more you appreciate it.
- Consider supporting WaterAid: A non-profit organization that helps communities access clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene.
- Try using a “Drink water reminder App” or create a repeating notification on your phone.
- Notice the colour and odour of your urine – the darker and stinkier it is, the more you need to hydrate (unless you just ate asparagus!)
Have a smarter day, a smarter week and a smarter life,
Ginny Santos, your holistic coach.
PS: If you like getting these weekly reminders and you know someone who could also benefit from them, please forward them this email and invite them to sign up here.
A love note from your future self:
Today, I was doing my rounds, checking in with every organ in our body, taking a stroll through our arteries and peeking into our brain and here’s what I have to say: Every single cell in our body is grateful for every single drink of water that you had yesterday.
I look forward to enjoying the feeling of full hydration that we will get from the water you drink today.
Love, from inner self.
Health Disclaimer: The content contained in this email is for educational and inspirational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice because of something you may have read on this email.